PreK-12 Educational Support Services include:
- Johnson O’Malley supplementary services
- Educational Assistance Fund
- School supplies
- College engagement
About Johnson O’Malley Program
Johnson O’Malley Program
The Johnson O’Malley program (JOM) offers supplementary, culturally appropriate programs and services that meet the unique and specialized educational needs of American Indian students beginning at age 3 to grade 12. The JOM program provides ongoing supplemental educational opportunities and student advocacy of educational needs for all American Indian students within the Los Lunas School district, as well as, all Isleta students attending Albuquerque Public Schools and Santa Fe Indian School.
The Johnson O’Malley program is developed to assist students find academic success and graduate from high school by providing support, funding, and experiential learning opportunities to students through a variety of engaging and culturally relevant activities. The JOM program supports include ongoing student advocacy, summer bridge program, tutor support, school supplies and extracurricular fees. The JOM program also provides direct support to several student-centered initiatives each year, including:
- Family Activity Nights
- Free basic school supplies offered at the beginning of the school year
- Literacy Night – Free grade appropriate reading material for all students
- TI-83, TI-84, or TI-30 calculators for eligible students
- Incentives for graduating high school students
- Reimbursements that include, PE uniforms for middle school students and high school freshman, ACT, SAT, Pre-AP Testing, AP Testing, lab fees and additional reading material required for high school English courses.
- College Fairs
- Experiential Learning Opportunities
The Johnson O’Malley program will provide virtual tutoring services beginning January 2021. Tutor support will be by appointment only. Any JOM eligible student who may be interested in tutor support, may submit a tutor registration form to the JOM Coordinator or the JOM Academic Tutor.
The Isleta Educational Assistance Fund
The Educational Assistance fund was established and approved by the Tribal Council and the Board of Education to assist families in meeting their student’s educational needs. The Pueblo of Isleta recognizes the need to provide families with supplemental funding to assist their child/children in their education. Applications shall be reviewed the third week of January, March, June and September. The education-funding year shall reflect the academic school year – August through July.
Through the Department of Education, specific guidelines have been developed to assist qualifying tribal members striving to reach high levels of district, local and state academic standards. These guidelines shall be used to provide monetary support to students and adults in need of educational assistance.
Who May Apply:
All enrolled tribal members who reside within a 60-mile radius of Isleta Pueblo.
Assistance may be provided for the following categories: (Priority will be given to category A, the B and so forth).
- Students K-12: Students who are in need of academic support, unavailable through other resources, for example; tutoring through Sylvan Learning Center or other programs.
- Students K-12: Students with disabilities.
- Students K-12: Students attending private institutions.
- Students K-12: Students involved in extra-curricular activities, i.e., band, chess, sports activities, science fair, etc.
- Group Trips: To give students K-12 the opportunity to attend and explore educational programs or take education trips outside the regular classroom.
- Continuing Education: Special interest classes, i.e., career development, etc.
- Adult Education Special Programs: Department of Education hosted programs to include CNM Ingenuity and UNM-VC concurrent courses/classes.
College engagement nights – https://isletapueblo.fomstack.com/forms/college_engagement_night_preregistration_form
Educational Assistance – https://isletapueblo.formstack.com/forms/educational_assistance
JOM Submissions – https://isletapueblo.formstack.com/forms/j_o_m_submission_uploads
Intern/Volunteer Application – https://isletapueblo.formstack.com/forms/intern_volunteer_application
Reimbursement Forms – https://isletapueblo.formstack.com/forms/reimbursement
Indian Education Committee
The Indian Education Committee (IEC) was developed to ensure that Johnson O’Malley educational programs meet the specialized and unique educational needs of American Indian students. The IEC approves all budgets and programs funded by the Johnson O’Malley program. The IEC is the decision maker of all services provided for eligible American Indian students. The Indian Education Committee consists of elected parents and/or guardians of JOM eligible students.